SearchBox:

BackRefresh

Can Eating Too Much Bran Cereal Cause Iron Problems In The Body?

old message Can Eating Too Much Bran Cereal Cause Iron Problems In The Body? Darrell Miller 09/16/11

PreviousNext

Date: September 16, 2011 11:56 PM
Author:
Subject: Can Eating Too Much Bran Cereal Cause Iron Problems In The Body?

Overview

When I was growing up, I was always told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and that it will dictate what happens during the course of the day and I always believed in that concept even up to today. As it turns out it is with good reason that my parents always wanted me to have a good breakfast and never allowed me to leave home without one. In recent years I was able to find that indeed breakfast is an important meal in fact in many scientific studies they even claim that breakfast is the most important meal on the day because you are coming from a nutrient deprived state since you usually sleep about 6 to 8 hours which means that your body have not had the sustenance it needs during those times. So nourishing your body should be a priority when you wake up. Aside from that breakfast will also be the basis of how good your day maybe. Too much sugar and you might be a little sluggish in the middle of the day or even before lunch, too little sugar you might not make it to lunch before being hungry again and there so many other situations or scenarios as to why a good breakfast will dictate your day but I do not want to bore you with the details. And my favourite breakfast meal growing up was cereal.

Cereal

It was an awesome breakfast meal for me, it was filled with nutrients, depending on the brand it may be not as high in sugar just make sure you do not add some yourself, it has fiber which helps with nutrient absorption, it has good iron levels and other vitamins so all in all it was a healthy meal especially with added benefits of milk. It can be a complete meal in itself having nutrient packed calories. In recent years though, oat brans have been more defined as having high contents of iron and has been endorsed as a good source of it. In some cases manufacturers even fortify it further to allow even higher iron content for more health benefits. However all this is not enough when it comes to absorbing these minerals and vitamins in the body. Even though these food products have high content there is still the matter of absorption.

Too much Bran Cereal

In terms of having too much cereal, it will not be directly responsible for any problem with iron absorption in the body. However the fiber that is found in high concentration in these bran cereals is the primary culprit. Fiber can possibly block the absorption of iron when you lack certain digestive enzymes that will cause the fiber not to be digested well enough and will cause the hardening of stool especially if there is a lack of liquid in the stomach which in turn will stick on the intestinal linings and will prevent the absorption of iron. It acts as a sort of a blockade.

Guarantee: VitaNet® LLC Offers a 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed!

VitaNet ® LLC. Discount Vitamin Store.
VitaNet ®, LLC, Vitamin Store, Go Back To Home Page