Xanthan Gum :Cook Your Favorite Recipes With This Natural Thickener
|Xanthan Gum Recipes||Darrell Miller||12/18/12|
December 18, 2012 11:29 AM
Author: Darrell Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Subject: Xanthan Gum Recipes
Natural Healthy Thickener
Anyone who has wielded a ladle knows exactly what it means to get the right consistency in sauces and soups. Generally a flour, either cornstarch or arrowroot powder based additive, which is carbohydrate rich, make our soups and sauces thick, using conventional cooking methods. However, with growing concerns over carb -rich diets being linked to obesity and the recurring need for thickening required in cooking, has necessitated a switch without compromising on health.
Synthetic thickeners are not recommended though sometimes used commercially . Xanthun gum is a naturally derived form of a thickener made through the fermentation of glucose or sucrose using the harmless bacteria Xanthomonas campestris. Marketed from the 1960's, this harmless bacteria forms one of the most useful thickening agents that has been used commercially in the food industry. It has been used as an anti-settling agent, thickener and emulsifier for ice creams, smoothies, gums and confectioneries and even as a binding agent in creams ,lotions as well as other cosmetics including lipsticks.
Xanthan Gum Powder-Here are some benefits that one could look forward to:
- * Go gluten free-Reduce your fear of gluten by substituting flour with xanthan gum in breads, cakes and pasta. Those who suffer from gluten allergy may use this natural substitute in their diet in place of flour.
- *Provides all your dairy based products with a creamy texture, it does not deprive you of the pleasure of a dessert .
- * Acts as a perfect binding agent in gluten- free and even egg -free cooking.
- *It does not alter the color or flavor of the food.
- *Xanthan gum is known to have skin hydrating properties and thus manages to find its way into some of the most popular and commonly sold cosmetics. Being hypoallergenic and non acidic, one could find it in liquid soaps, lotions, creams, shower gels, and shampoos.
- * Because of its ability to coagulate and form a gel, it works wonderfully in the human digestive system to cleanse the colon with absolutely no harmful effects if taken within a certain limit. All therapeutic usage however requires the careful instructions of a therapist.
- *Rich in fiber-Every teaspoon of xanthan gum powder has 7 grams of fiber which also explains its digestive cleansing action that in some cases may cause bloating.
This polysaccharide needs to be used in small quantities thus it is not only affordable but can get easily amalgamated into home cooked food recipes with absolute ease ending up providing the most mouth watering of recipes the respite from censure .