Why Is Garlic Powder Good For You?
|Why Is Garlic Powder Good For You?||Darrell Miller||10/03/11|
October 03, 2011 03:28 PM
Author: Darrell Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Subject: Why Is Garlic Powder Good For You?
Garlic and its benefits
Garlic belongs to the species of onions of the genus Allium. This spice is said to have originated in central Asia and has been widely used as a basic food in several areas of the Mediterranean region. All over the world, garlic has been long used by many people because of its culinary and medicinal uses.
Here are some of the medicinal benefits of garlic powder for you:
1. ANTIMICROBIAL PROPERTY. Biological studies on garlic powder have revealed that the spice contains a potent chemical component which has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. This is not surprising because since the ancient times garlic has been commonly used as an antiseptic agent for wounds and skin infections.
2. LOWERS THE RISK OF CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES. Garlic powder has been found to effectively lower total cholesterol level in the blood, most especially the bad cholesterol known as Low Density Lipoprotein. Ongoing studies are still being conducted to establish its effect on good cholesterol level, also known as High Density Lipoprotein. Many health experts stated that garlic powder is a good herbal supplement for lowering the risk of cardiovascular diseases because of its cholesterol - lowering property. Many cardiovascular diseases occur due to increased cholesterol levels in the blood or cholesterol plaque deposition on the walls of the blood vessels making the passageway of the blood narrow. As a result, this can cause poor tissue oxygenation and perfusion which can lead to cellular damage.
3. BLOOD THINNING AGENT. This herb also lowers cardiovascular diseases because of its blood – thinning property. A less viscous blood will significantly regulate high blood pressure and reduce heart diseases. Clinical studies have revealed that garlic powder has the capacity to thin the blood because lessens the clotting effect of platelets, thus minimizing aggregation and inhibiting abnormal formation of clots.
4. IMMUNE SYSTEM BOOSTER. With its antimicrobial property, garlic powder effectively strengthens the immune system. It also contains antioxidants which can prevent free radical damage. Antioxidants neutralize and readily eliminate free radicals which can cause alteration in cellular division by tampering DNA replication. This is the reason why garlic powder is also effective in lowering the risk of cancer.
5. BLOOD SUGAR REGULATOR. Studies have shown that garlic powder can help maintain blood sugar levels within normal limits. Constant use of garlic supplements has lowered homocysteine level in the blood.
Garlic powder is all natural and safe to use. Its effectiveness and health benefits have also been established. However, health experts highly suggest that before you take garlic supplements, you have to consult your doctor most especially when you use garlic powder as an adjunct treatment for existing disease conditions.
Also, if you are prescribed with blood – thinning, cholesterol – lowering and oral hypoglycemic agents, you may take garlic powder supplements but with extra caution. You must discuss with your doctor your health history and current health conditions as well as the medications you are currently taking. This would greatly help in the prevention of adverse reactions and drug interactions. Garlic powder contains all the benefits of whole garlic. In fact, the powder form of garlic makes it easier to be digested and absorbed.