What Can Turmeric Do For My Health?
|What Can Turmeric Do For My Health?||Darrell Miller||04/02/12|
April 02, 2012 10:21 PM
Author: Darrell Miller (email@example.com)
Subject: What Can Turmeric Do For My Health?
There are a lot of natural food items and spices which in addition to providing a nice flavour to the food also provide a lot of health benefits. One such famous spice is ‘turmeric'. It is of common use in Indian, Chinese and other Asian countries' cuisines. Many health benefits of turmeric are still being researched; however, here are listed its few known benefits.
# Turmeric's health benefits against cancer:
- Turmeric has powerful anti-oxidant properties and therefore is useful against cancer treatments of many kinds. - Researches have shown that turmeric can prevent breast cancer to spread in lungs. - Turmeric is useful to intensify the effects of the drug ‘paclitaxel' which is taken to cure breast cancer and to prevent the side effects of this drug. - In many cases, turmeric also prevents metastases to develop in many different types of cancer. - The combined effect of cauliflower and turmeric prevents prostate cancer. It also helps to inhibit the growth of existing prostate cancer cells. - Benefits of turmeric for pancreatic cancer are still being studied. - It has also been shown that turmeric is effective to stop the growth of blood vessels in tumours.
# Benefits for skin:
- Assists in healing wounds and repairing damaged skin conditions. - Helps to fight skin infections and inflammations. - It has good antibacterial properties and can be applied on wounds as a disinfectant. - It helps to fight skin inflammation conditions like psoriasis. - Turmeric mixed with honey is a good skin bleaching agent. - Turmeric paste is also good to reduce sun tan from the skin. - Mixing turmeric in face packs can help cure acne to some degree. - Turmeric mixed with curd if applied daily on the abdomen of pregnant ladies can help in preventing pregnancy stretch marks. - Application of turmeric paste for skin burns is a good remedy for it. - Regularly washing face with turmeric can help a person get rid of excessive facial hair.
# Benefits for the nervous system:
- It helps to slow down the effects of Alzheimer's disease. - It acts as a natural painkiller. - It is also used as an ingredient in medicines against depression. - It also has anti-platelet abilities, and therefore is promising for protection against heart attacks, blood arteries and vein clogs etc.
# Other health benefits of turmeric:
- Because of its inflammatory properties, turmeric is known to be useful in the treatment of arthritis, muscle pain, ligament pains etc. - Aids in fat management by increasing the metabolism rate in an individual. - Helps in detoxifying liver. It also helps protect the liver from the damaging effects of various toxins like that of alcohol. - Turmeric mixed in warm water when consumed can help in the conditions of diarrhoea. - It's consumption also helps to relieve menstrual pains.
# Dosage of turmeric:
Turmeric should form a part of one's daily diet and should ideally form part of various dishes which are consumed daily. An adult can safely consume one to three grams of turmeric powder daily. To be consumed as a supplement, it can be taken as pills available in health stores.
# Things to keep in mind before consuming turmeric:
- Consume turmeric in moderation as excess of anything is bad. - Consult your physician before beginning to consume any supplements. - Those who have congestive heart disease should refrain from consuming it. - Those having obstructive jaundice, extreme liver disorders, blood clotting issues, and painful gallstones should not take turmeric. In general, if you have any troubling health condition or if you are on medication, then you should consult your physician before consuming it. - Pregnant women, nursing mothers and women with fertility issues should also consult their physician before consuming turmeric.
Turmeric is a wonder-food, to help you fight against many health conditions. It is easily available and is easy to consume. Make sure to give it due consideration to be included in your daily diet for a healthy life.