Can Vitamin D-3 Improve Your Health?
|Can Vitamin D-3 Improve Your Health?||Darrell Miller||02/28/13|
February 28, 2013 02:59 PM
Author: Darrell Miller (email@example.com)
Subject: Can Vitamin D-3 Improve Your Health?
Vitamin D-3 or cholecalciferol, an active form of D vitamin, plays a huge role in bone remodeling and normal calcium balance. Sunlight is responsible for the conversion of cholesterol to vitamin D on the skin but when exposure to sunlight do not always synthesize sufficient amounts, this D vitamin can be obtained from various sources.
The recommended daily dose of this vitamin is 1000 IU for adults or more if there is a deficiency. As mentioned, insufficient amount of such vitamin from sunlight can be supplemented by various sources such as the following: - Fatty fishes like salmon, mackerel, sardines and tuna - Dairy products, such as milk, soy milk, yogurt and cheese - Grains - Other food products like egg, beef liver and orange juice Insufficient amount of this vitamin can also be supplemented through the consumption of multivitamins, which can provide approximately 400 IU of vitamin D-3. However, take note that higher doses, such as the ones with up to 50,000 IU, require a prescription from your doctor. You can find D-3 in dosages as high as 10,000IU at a health food store.
Health Benefits of Vitamin D-3
This type of vitamin D can definitely improve one's health with all the benefits it can provide. This fat-soluble vitamin is responsible for the proper absorption of calcium in the body, thus making it essential for the bones. Insufficient amount of this essential vitamin in the body can result to brittle bones and other health problems. On the other hand, sufficient amount of this essential vitamin can provide you lots of health benefits, such as the following:
- Bone Health: as mentioned, this fat-soluble vitamin facilitates the proper absorption of calcium from foods and the reabsorption of essential minerals by the kidneys. Apart from that, it also boosts the absorption of phosphorous, which is also essential for the health of the bones and prevents various diseases, such as rickets and osteomalacia.
- Immune System: this vitamin is also beneficial for the body's immune system. According to various studies conducted, it can also help prevent autoimmune disorders from developing and is useful in treating inflammatory diseases.
- Neuromuscular System: vitamin D-3 can enhance the functions of the neuromuscular system, as well as protect the body against muscle weakness due to the process of aging.
- Weight Loss: if combined with a healthy diet and regular exercise, this can also help promote weight loss. It helps assimilate foods properly and regulates the levels of blood sugar.
- Skin: this fat-soluble vitamin is also beneficial for the skin, as it contains natural anti-inflammatory properties. It helps control various inflammatory diseases, such as psoriasis, speeds up the healing process of wounds, alleviate skin lesions due to photodermatitis and lichen planus, reduce itching and rejuvenates the skin.
- Depression: the connection between depression and this D vitamin is still unclear. However, a certain study has shown that this insufficient amount of this essential vitamin in the body can increase the risk of depression in men and women. It can also result to hyperparathyroidism where depression is the most prevalent system.
Apart from all these, vitamin D-3 and its supplements can provide the body with lots of other health benefits. It can regulate blood pressure and protect the body against cardiovascular diseases, as well as from various types of cancers.
Have you had your vitamin D-3 today?